Information on Plants and Communities
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) invasive plant identification resources.
- Wisconsin state specific resources for management of invasive species.
- Invasive Plants Association of Wisconsin (IPAW) is a great resource for identification and management of invasive species.
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR) education site about invasive species.
- List of most serious invasive plants in Wisconsin. Also has identifying characteristics with photos.
- University of Wisconsin online virtual flora database has both native and invasive plants.
- Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) plants database.
- Wisconsin’s ecological landscapes website of the WDNR provides great information on location, ecological attributes and management opportunities for different natural communities.
- The Prairie Enthusiasts is a nonprofit grass roots organization dedicated to preservation and management of prairies and savannas.
- Oak Savannas website offers a wonderful array of resources and information for restoration and management of oak savannas.
- Wisconsin Wetlands Association is an organization for wetland preservation and restoration. Has a wealth of information.
Conservation and Land Stewardship Organizations
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is a not for profit, non-governmental organization that sets standards for under which forests and companies are certified. A blueprint for sustainably managed forests.
- Land Trust Alliance provides resources for establishment and management of land trusts.
- Natural Resources Conservation Service offers technical and financial assistance to landowners interested in conservation projects.
- The Nature Conservancy is a worldwide organization for the conservation of native ecosystems and waters.
- The Aldo Leopold Foundation encourages land ethic through Aldo Leopold’s legacy. Great resource for education, classes, and science based research.
- Wisconsin Woodland Owners Association is an excellent resource for those interested in sustainable management and overall health of their woodlands.
- The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) provides technical and financial assistance to private landowners for voluntary habitat restoration through its Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program.
Managing for Wildlife
- Label database for all herbicides can be found here. You can look at the exact label that is found on herbicide containers which allows you to research herbicides before you buy.
- Wisconsin Historic Aerial Image Finder is a really neat tool to see what your land looked like going back to the 1930’s.
- Google maps area calculator is a simple but accurate tool for determining land area using Google maps imagery. Handy for calculating seed or chemical needs.